Monday, June 25, 2012

6/25/12 Weekly Blog #1


The Blind Boy: by Colley Cibber



O say, what is that thing called light,
Which I can ne'er enjoy?
What is the blessing of the sight?
O tell your poor blind boy!
You talk of wondrous things you see,
You say the sun shines bright;
I feel him warm, but how can he
Then make it day or night?
My day or night myself I make
Whene'er I sleep or play;
And could I ever keep awake
With me 'twere always day.
With heavy sighs I often hear
You mourn my hapless woe;
But sure with patience I may bear
A loss I ne'er know.
Then let not what I cannot have
My cheer of mind destroy;
Whilst thus I sing, I am a king,
Although a poor blind boy.


For this blog post, I want you to read the poem above, then write a two paragraph essay about what it means.  Here's some questions you should ask yourself before you start writing-- what is the narrator trying to tell the listener?  What message is the author trying to get across?  What is the major theme here?  Specifically with the last two lines, what does that mean to you?  Please don't just answer these questions in your blog post.  Instead, think about these questions before you write and then write two paragraphs about what the poem means to you.  Again, I don't want you to just explain what the poem says, but tell me what it means.

0 comments:

Post a Comment