Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dad: 1/12/11 Blog of the Day

For today's blog of the day, I want you to write a poem using couplets.  A couplet is two lines of poetry that rhyme.  Usually they have the same rhythm in each line.  Here's an example of a couplet:

I look at the beautiful Mommio,
And wonder why she has stubbed her toe.

You can put use couplets to make a longer poem.  Here's an extension of my poem above, using two couplets:

The Time I Dropped the House on Jennifer's Foot
By: Kyle Jones

I look at the beautiful Mommio,
And wonder why she has stubbed her toe.
Her foot is swollen and turning red,
And she's looks at me like she wished I were dead.

Here's an example of a poem by William Blake where he used three couplets to make his poem.  The Poem is called "Three Things to Remember":

A Robin Redbreast in a cage,
Puts all Heaven in a rage.

A skylark wounded on the wing
Doth make a cherub cease to sing.

He who shall hurt the little wren
Shall never be beloved by men.


For today's blog of the day, I want you to write a four line poem using two couplets.  So the first two lines must rhyme and the 3rd and 4th lines must rhyme.  It can be on any topic that you want.

0 comments:

Post a Comment