Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Daddio: 9/8/10 Blog of the Day

For today's blog of the day, I want you to write a "Rose are red..." poem.  You know the standard poem:

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Sugar is sweet,
and so are you.

But today I want you to make up your own.  Your roses and violets can be whatever color you want, and you can start the first line with either roses or violets, but the other one needs to be in the second line.  For example, you can start with "Violets are ______" as long as the second line is "Roses are ______".

Then you need to pick a color for both your roses and your violets.  They can be any color you want.  Once you've got your colors picked, write the first two lines of your poem.  So, for example, I'll pick roses being red and violets being green:

Roses are red.
Violets are green.

Now, you need to take the color you made your second flower (whether it's roses or violets) and on scrap paper, make a list of words that rhyme with that color.  So in my example, I need to find a bunch of words that rhyme with green:

Green: lean, scene, mean, bean, serene, peeing.

Now pick one of those words, and that will be the last word of the poem, in the fourth line.  Now build your poem around that.  Here's some examples of how my poem could be written:

Roses are red.
Violets are green.
I think that my Daddio
Is angry and mean.

OR:

Roses are red.
Violets are green.
When I drink tea,
I spend the day peeing.

1 comments:

Nana and Popo

Roses are blue
Violets are red
My name is Jones
And I have a big head.

Post a Comment