Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mommio: A Night At The Hospital

6:30- Connor is sound asleep, but I am watching Cartoon Network.  Despite being sound asleep, every time I try to turn the channel he wakes up long enough to tell me to turn it back.
7:00- Nurses come in to check vitals (temp., blood pressure, etc.)
7:10 - Connor tells me I need to turn off all the lights and the tv.  So, I guess I will read the Kindle- in the dark.  That's okay, I'm pretty tired so I start to fall asleep.
7:30- I just fell asleep.  I jerk awake to "Mommio, I need to pee."  Now, I know that in rooms all around us parents are calling their nurses to handle this situation, but we never do that. So I get up and help him pee, but guess what- he decides he doesn't really need to go.
7:45- I'm asleep again (and I think Connor is), suddenly "Mommio, I need to pee."  Okay, up again, this time he really does go.
8:00- Back to sleep. "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP......" One of Connor's many alarms connected to an IV or something is beeping (again).  I get up and call the nurse.  The tech comes in to make it stop beeping.  Five minutes later it starts again.  I don't bother calling since I know the nurse has already been informed and is just busy.  So the beeping goes on for another 5 minutes (and it's really irritating Connor). Nurse shows up and changes an IV bag.  All is well.
8:15- Sleep.
9:00- Nurse comes in to do vitals again.  She is always very quiet, but it always wakes us up. Then I don't know why she bothers to be quiet because the next thing she does is put fresh ice in his leg cooler thing he has on.  Basically this is like dumping a cooler of melted ice and refilling it, right next to the bed.  It is very loud and seems to take forever.
9:20- Sleep.
11:00- Nurse doing vitals again.  Wow- we got to sleep a long time.
11:15- Sleep.
12 something am- "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... " Call the nurse, wait for her, etc.
12:30 - Sleep
2:00- Nurse doing vitals and that dreaded ice.  They have spilled water all over the floor...takes longer.
2:30- Sleep. "Mommio, I need to pee." Do the pee routine. Back to bed.
3:00- Sleep.
4:00- Nurse doing vitals and ice- AGAIN.
4:15- Sleep
4:20- "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP..." Call, wait.
4:30- Sleep.
5:00- "Mommio I need to pee." Not really.  Back to bed.
5:15- "Mommio, I really need to pee this time."  Do the pee routine again.  Connor decides it's time to wake up and watch tv.
5:20- I am off to get coffee at the parent room, there is none.  I have to make a pot and wait.  It tastes awful- but it's coffee.  Back to the room.

So- that's how our night went. I would say it was a really good night.  We got some sleep, Connor wasn't hurting or crying or throwing up.  He is in a great mood this morning so we begin day three at the hospital!

1 comments:

Nana, Marney and Gabe

That is great. Have fun doing the pee routine...says Marney. Gabe says...sounds like you had to pee a lot. Nana says...we sure miss you guys. Can't wait for you to come home...wish I were there....sounds like fun.

Post a Comment