Friday, September 18, 2009

Daddio: We... have... TAHINI!

I went to Sprouts today at lunch with Scott, because he needed to pick some groceries up. I wanted to make a second attempt to find the elusive Tahini there.

Tahini is a traditional Mediterranean and middle-eastern cooking ingredient. Essentially it is sesame seeds ground into a fine, oily paste. From what I understand, it is essential to making your own hummus. I scoured our local Marble Falls HEB for it, but couldn't find it anywhere -- and I even ASKED someone if they had it.

So I went to Sprouts and immediately checked the most likely location: the "ethnic" food section. This is where they have the Asian fish oils and cooking sauces. Much to my dismay, they had pre-roasted sesame seeds, and tons of sesame oil in this section, but no Tahini.

Oh crap. I was convinced I was never going to find it.

Then inspiration struck. I thought, "I wonder if they keep it over with the pre-prepared hummus. Maybe in the deli section." I rushed to the deli and found shelf after refrigerated shelf of different kinds of hummus: roasted garlic, jalapeno, red pepper, etc. But no Tahini. Just as I was turning away, set on top of the refrigerated case... BAM... Tahini. I forgot that Tahini isn't refrigerated, so of course they wouldn't have it inside the refrigerated case. Five dollars and a short wait in the check out line later, and I'm walking out with my Tahini.

Score.

So fasten your seatbelts, toes, because this weekend we have a date with the Tahini, a can of Chick Peas and the food processor. Next stop -- Hummus Heaven.

1 comments:

Nana

And it was Hummus Heaven...I loved it...thanks for sharing with me ....

Post a Comment