Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Daddio: Surgery Update

On the second to last day of our vacation in Nags Head, I started having new soreness and swelling at the site of my surgery even though a few days before I had no swelling or pain.  We got back to town on Sunday night and I went to see my surgeon Monday afternoon.  He informed me (as I expected) that my hernia repair had failed and that my intestine had broken through my stomach wall.  Fortunately, however, it was not strangulated and I wasn't in any danger or needing immediate surgery.

He wanted to wait 3 weeks to do the surgery to let the swelling go down and scar tissue build up-- apparently this will increase the chances of a successful hold on the next surgery-- but I told him that it was extremely uncomfortable and somewhat painful, so we compromised on a week and a half.  The surgery is now scheduled for a week from Friday.  It's going to be basically the same surgery, but will be done outpatient, which is nice.  I'm sure I'll have all sorts of great and hysterical pictures to post up from my recovery.

1 comments:

Deanna

I feel for you Kyle. I've been through two hernia surgeries. The last one was a double-repair and it kept me down for a good 14 days.

-Pete

Post a Comment