Saturday, December 15, 2012

Connor: Death Comes On Swift Wings

         

Death Comes on Swift Wings
By Connor M. Jones

                     My name was Tutankhamun, Tut for short.  I was pharaoh of Egypt, a king in title and behavior.  I stood for a single moment in a pool of blood.  Upon further inspection I found it to be my own blood, my body now a husk.  I shouldn't have been capable of movement, but I was.  I wasn't among the living and I wasn't in the afterlife.
       I had lived like a king should.  I had many treasures, none quite as valuable to me as my soul.  When I was rid of that I became what I now am.  I am a member of a group called the undead.  I first knew this when I found fangs in place of canines and bandages all over my body.  Then I resolved to find the man who slaughtered me.
        As a man of power, I had many people who wanted to overthrow me.  The most prominent of these was my uncle and most trusted adviser, Ay.  Ay had become the pharaoh after my death, seeing as I had no living royal family left.  He was the most likely suspect, and I knew that I could get the truth out of him.  I traveled to meet my uncle at his throne.
         When I reached the throne Ay was there alone.  I silently moved over to him and grabbed him by the throat.  "Did you kill me?" I asked him in a deep voice.  I lifted him higher and higher as he refused to answer.  Suddenly he gave a simple shake of the head and I lowered him to the ground.  "Tell me who killed me or you will die!"  I said picking him up again with super strength.
            "H-Horemheb," He said with fear in his eyes "Horemheb did it."  I stared at him and said "Not that I don't trust you, but you are on my throne.  If I find out you lied, Ay, I will kill you personally!"  With that I left him cowering on the throne.  I went to search for Horemheb and discover the truth.  Along the way I found Ay's grand vizier.
                  The vizier looked weak and Ay had several of them.  I grabbed the vizier and pulled him into a place in the shadow of the pyramids.  I then proceeded to bite into his neck and drain him of his blood.  It was broad daylight out and yet I was still powerful, only slightly less so.  I then found Horemheb in front of an alter to Ra.  By this point I had a sword at his throat.  "You taught me to fight, told me to never let my guard down.  Now I'm going to ask a simple question and you will give a yes or no answer.  Did you kill me?!"
           Horemheb looked quite afraid to see me.  I moved the blade closer to his throat and asked for him to answer.  Finally he told me that it wasn't him.  I then asked if it was Ay and he told me yes.  I then went into the throne room, by flight.  There I found Ay holding a scimitar, which he then tried to thrust into my heart.  "You filthy, lying jackal of a vizier!  You actually thought I wouldn't find out!  Death comes on swift wings to those who betray me!"  With that I sliced him in half and returned to my tomb, where I then wrote the words "Death comes on swift wings to those who awaken the pharaoh."

1 comments:

Mara

I enjoyed your short story Connor. You are a good writer.

Post a Comment