Monday, June 17, 2013

Connor: The Way The Empire Crumbles

We stood before the representative of Nova Britannia.  The Nova Britannian people united as one standing before the governor, Marcus Antonius LVI.  Our overlord and true leader stood across the Atlantic in Rome.  We were ruled over by Gaius Julius Caesar XCIX.  He went by the name of his ancestor, Julius Caesar, the original emperor.  Millions of years ago Julius Caesar had ruled, he thwarted an attempted murder by Brutus then later a revolution.  Now here we stood looking our representative in the face.  Marcus was by all means a just and noble leader for the people of New Rome, not quite as harsh as Lady Claudia of Britannia.
My name was Tullius Celsus, my appearance gave the impression that I was average, but I would soon become a hero.  Lady Claudia, my cousin, was appointed governess of Britannia by our brilliant emperor.  I was slowly growing sick of Julius's reign, unfortunately I was to remain here under my his orders.  I knew that eventually the power-mad emperor, my grandfather, would have me slain.  In my little and inevitably short exile I had been forced to take my father's last name.  I, Tullius, son of Marius and Julia XCI, had a brilliant plan to either take over the empire or eliminate it.
I wrote letters to my cousin as often as I could, but I always wrote in code so that my letters could only be read by her.  It had been ten months since I received her last letter, and it wasn't written in her hand writing.  I fear my grandfather had found out, or worse that she was dead.  The letter was strange, not in the code nor in any language I knew.  I had also been communicating with the princess of Egypt Cleopatra XLVI.  We had plans to meet up in person at the next convention.  We were planing my rise to power one year before we were to be married.
Cleo and I met up the next summer in Nova Graecia.  There we got married and moved toward the Imperial city of Rome.  I brought swords daggers and other such pointy and deadly objects, while Cleo had brought soldiers from her country in a giant wooden Lotus.  I climbed inside the false flower and rode toward the throne.  My grandfather and his guards moved us into the city, positive that the lotus statue was a gift.  When the guards lowered their guard and slept I lead my soldiers toward the my grandfather's sleeping quarters.  "Carefull men." I whispered as we walked on "We don't want to kill any civilians, guards, nobles, or poets.  We are here to kill Gaius Julius Caesar XCIX!"  Soon we were in the emperor's chambers, most of my soldeiers fled in fear.  I was left alone to do the work of an assassin, I was a noble doing an assassin's job.  Unfortunately he woke up while I was standing over him with a sword.  I whispered to him, as there were no guards in the room, "I have come to claim the throne, grandfather.  You will either surrender it or be killed!"  He chose to fight back, but he was old and frail,  This old man was too weak to defend himself.  Rome needed a more capable ruler.  As such I ran the dagger through his chest and decapitated him with the sword.
I had succeeded I was the new ruler of Rome.  I stood triumphant over the corpse of the old emperor and wept, for I hadn't thought he would fight back.  My plans were for him to surrender, but here he lay, bloody and deceased in his bedroom.  I looked around for a place to hide the tools of my triumph, after washing the blood off of course.  When the guards came in they were shocked, I told them "I am Tullius Celsus, your new emperor!"  It wasn't until Cleo and her soldiers walked in that I realized, she didn't want to help me gain power.  She wanted to end the empire, and here I stood, disarmed, and weak from battle.  I was shoved to the ground by one of her soldiers as she slit my throat.  My last glimpse was of her face, frowning and unhappy.  The last thing I ever felt and would ever feel was betrayal as she slit my throat.  The End

1 comments:

Nana

What an ending...your writing is excellent...keep up the good work.

Post a Comment